Monday, June 22, 2009

I can do this... Right?

Okay so I am in need of some reassurance here...
Bedtime for Lily has become quite the routine lately...one night she's out at 7, the next night I could rock her for 2 hours, only to have her wake up the MINUTE I lay that sweet little head in her crib.
So I said ENOUGH...
RIGHT?
UHHHH....RIGHT?
Well, some of my friends, who are in the more wise, been-there done-that mother faze (ahh can't wait to be there) have told me I just gotta let her "CRY IT OUT" for a few nights then it will be smooth sailing from there.
I said to myself...no way, no how. I can't do that.
Then last Friday we babysat for some friends. They have a baby the same age as ours. Before they left, I asked them what the bedtime routine was for their little guy. She said just lay him in his crib, tell him night-night, and shut the door.
Jared and I could not believe our eyes when 7:30 came around, and he was down within minutes. Lily on the other hand, was up till 11:00 that night.
Well, exhaustion and desperation have got the best of me and I'm ready...
RIGHT?....
I WANT TO BE...but I feel like the worst parent EVER.
So we have tried twice this week, and failed each time. But tonight (3rd time's a charm right) it worked! I let her cry it out. And cry it out she did...30 minutes of sniffles (by both parties) and then much to my surprise....
S I L E N C E.
I tip-toed in and YUP, she was sleeping! AHH, it is now 8:20 and I'm a free bird for the rest of the evening!
...but why does part of me want to go into her room, take her out of her crib, and snuggle her all night long?
I feel so guilty.
So mommies out there, who have been-there, done-that...PLEASE tell me that there is life after "crying it out" ....
that my baby girl will wake up and still love her mommy!

10 comments:

Alicia said...

yay! you did it!! the first night is always the hardest...but it's good for both sides! i'm so proud of you!! you'll both love each other even more after a good nights sleep!

Antrobus Fam said...

Oh, linds! I feel for you. It comes to a point when both you and your little one need a routine bed time. It gets so much easier, just don't stray from the routine that you set, esp in the beginning. Now with Hud's naps and bedtime I lay him down and close the door, and he's totally quite. Lily will get there quicker than you think!

Debbie said...

It is sooo hard! You did the right thing. I remember crawling in Logans room and getting under the crib just to make sure the sobs didn't cause him to choke. I am proud it took Lilly only 30 minutes, my first attempt was 2 hours. It does get easier, trust me, (to put them to bed anyway) then comes a new challenge and thats the way it goes from now on. There is always something to test your skills!! Love you and I am sure missing my Lilly bug this week.

THE HAGES said...

To be honest, you are doing the best thing. If you start this now she will get used to putting herself to sleep and as she gets older bed time will be easy. Not to brag or anything but when it comes to the things I have done right as a mother, we are great at the bed time routine. (This may be the only thing I have done right.) Hang in there. I was rocking Kinsey to sleep everynight until I was so pregnant with Creighton I couldnt do it anymore and then we let her cry herself to sleep. It gets better! I PROMISE!

Paige said...

It will all work out, I promise. I let Reagan cry it out when she was 5 months old & it took a week to get it down but she has done great since then (well, with a few exceptions--dang teeth!). The first night she cried for an hour & a half & I sat on my bed with the monitor in my hand & I cried too. Pretty soon, she figured it out & does great. Now I just lay her in her bed, pop her pacifier in, cover her with the blanket, & shut the door & she goes right to sleep! Lily will get there! Now my concern is getting rid of the pacifier...

Lowe Down said...

Good Job!! I was the same as you! I went in the room and made sure Carson was a sleep after we was done crying! Trust me it is so worth it! Carsons bedtime is 730 and he will still cry sometimes but they know that mom and dad won't come and get them. If she cries and you go in there then she knows how to get her way!! Trust me I had to learn the same way you are!! Stay with it!! By the way, she is the most BEAUTIFUL baby EVER! I love seeing pictures of her. she is so cute!!

The Higginbothams said...

I've always been more of a "tough love" type of parent, so I can't really relate to the rocking for two hours thing. In fact, I dread that about the newborn phase and having to hold them so much. It's good you kept trying and that it worked on the third night. Better now than finding a two-year-old sleeping in your bed every night because you weren't tough enough to lay down the law!

the straz fam said...

So Nolan used to be an excellent sleeper...that is before we spent 2 weeks in Wyoming. Now he wants to nurse all night long and he has been driving me crazy! So I took the advice from your post and all the comments people have left and I am making him cry it out. It's already starting to work! Thanks for this post!!!

Rachelle said...

HOORAY!!!! YOU DID IT!! I knew you could. I've got a great little book for you to borrow by Joni Hilton called The Best Kind of Mom. She talks about losing the guilt, it keeps us from enjoying our most fulfilling tasks.

H+B Jackson said...

Life after bedtime is the best! They need it too! They need to learn to put themselves to sleep sometime. better sooner than later! They are so mauch happier all the time because they are getting the sleep they need. You can do it...I waited way too long and this was my experience... http://hngeorge.blogspot.com/2009/02/sleep-sleep-sleep.html